Many people find it difficult to follow instructions because they cannot understand the components of the product. This kind of frustration can be eliminated if a designer identifies and shows the different parts of a product clearly. In this project I was asked to explain an object by identifying and showing its parts effectively and by producing clear and concise instructions as to the function of the product.
Working independently as a student in the Graphic Design 03 class at OCAD University, I was tasked to design an information sheet to help people understand the object and its function. I chose a neck tie, and the process of how to tie the neck tie.
- The drawings and the descriptions work in tandem. To be concise and accurate, they need the accompaniment of each other.
- There is immediate complexity due to intertwining loops of the tie ribbon, this in turn creates many lines and shapes in the illustrations.
- To assist in the illustrations and instruction, the left side and right side of the tie will be separated by different colour so as to differentiate the two sides.
- There will also be two shades, a front (light) shade and a back (dark) shade of each colour to also assist in differentiating the wrapping of the tie.
- The overall impression is one of formality, including patterns, colours and typography associated with sophistication.